Latest Updates and Information from the SWO Environment Module
(Images courtesy of www.freeimages.co.uk and Dorset County Council)
- NEW REPORT - The State of Local Authority Research in the South West 2013
The report looks at the impact of public sector reform on local authority research services in the South West region. It includes case studies and examples of current work, as well as future priorities and prospects for the sector, based on a series of in-depth interviews with local authority representatives from across the region. The intention is for this work to act as an information sharing resource and toolkit for any authorities who are reviewing their research function, and/or are...
29 August 2013
- Regen SW's Energy Progress Report & Annual Survey
Regen SW's Renewable Energy Progress Report reveals that the total capacity of renewable electricity in the South West has grown by almost 50% in the past 12 months – from 714 MW in 2012 to more than 1 GW now – and that the region now generates 7.3 per cent of its electricity from renewable sources. The progress report includes a full breakdown of all the region's renewable energy technologies, details of current initiatives to drive forward the sector, and an analysis of exactly what the south...
04 July 2013
- Local impact of the spending review
Details of spending plans for the year 2015 to 2016 have been announced by the Chancellor. This included an increase in capital spending by £3 billion per year, but also cuts across government departments.
Department by Department this means:
- 2015-16 Treasury resource budget reduced by 10%.
- Cabinet Office resource budget reduced by 10%.
- Local government department has been reduced by 60% - Eric Pickles has agreed to another 10% reduction in resource budget. The council tax freeze,...
26 June 2013